Request a Scene

Want to request a favorite scene to be written as an excerpt?

All you need to do is give me an email at UniversalOm432Hz@gmail.com with the subject of "Movie Excerpt".

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Excerpt: "Never let go" - Titanic (1997)

WARNING: Contains spoilers. Do not read prior to watching the movie.

---


Jack and Rose drift under the blazing stars. The water is glassy, with only the faintest undulating swell. Rose can actually see the stars reflecting on the black mirror of the sea. Jack squeezes the water out of her long coat, tucking it in tightly around her legs. He rubs her arms. His face is chalk with in the darkness. A low moaning in the darkness around them.


"It's getting quiet."

"Just a few more minutes. It'll take them a while to get the boats organized..."

Rose is still, just staring into space. She knows the truth. There won't be any boats. Behind Jack she sees that Officer Wilde has stopped moving. He is slumped in his lifejacket, looking almost asleep. He has died of exposure already.

"I don't know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all this."

She laughs weakly, but it sounds like a gasp of fear. Rose finds his eyes in the dim light.

"I love you Jack."

He takes her hand.

"No... don't say your good-byes, Rose. Don't you give up. Don't do it."

"I'm so cold."

"You're going to get out of this... you're going to go on and you're going to make babies and watch them grow and you're going to die an old lady, warm in your bed. Not here. Not this night. Do you understand me?"

"I can't feel my body."

"Rose, listen to me. Listen. Winning that ticket was the best thing that ever happened to me."

Jack is having trouble getting the breath to speak.

"It brought me to you. And I'm thankful, Rose. I'm thankful."

His voice is trembling with the cold which is working his way to his heart. But his eyes are unwavering.

"You must do me this honor... promise me you will survive... that you will never give up... no matter what happens... no matter how hopeless... promise me now, and never let go of that promise."

"I promise."

"Never let go."

"I promise. I will never let go, Jack. I'll never let go."

She grips his hand and they lie with their heads together. It is quiet now, except for the lapping of the water.

James Cameron, Titanic (1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment